meant to (be/do something)idiom
Definition of meant to (be/do something)
1 : intended to (do or be something) I was never meant to teach. They knew as soon as they met that they were meant to be together. I thought we could be friends, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
2 British : supposed to (be or do something) The buses are meant to arrive every 15 minutes. Brighton is meant to be very beautiful at this time of year.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game