do withoutphrasal verb
did without; done without; doing without; does without
Definition of do without
: to not have (something) : to live, work, etc., without having (something) If you can't afford a new car, you'll just have to do without (one). I don't know how we ever did without computers. —can/could do without is often used to say that one does not like or approve of something I enjoy traveling, but I can do without having to wait around in crowded airports.He was late again. That's the kind of selfish behavior I could do without.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game