Definition of the same
1 : someone or something that is exactly like another person or thing being discussed or referred to He ordered the salmon, and I had the same. All of your classmates have begun their projects, and I suggest you do the same. The band's last album was a bunch of bubble-gum pop, and their new release is just more of the same.
2 : exactly like each other or very similar to each other The lunch specials are always the same. No two fingerprints are ever the same.
3 : someone or something that has not changed : something that is exactly like it was at an earlier time After the accident, he was never quite the same again. Things would never be the same without you!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?