do/go the roundsidiom
Definition of do/go the rounds
chiefly British, of a rumor, a piece of news, etc.
: to be passed from one person to another person and become widely known Rumors about his resigning as CEO were doing the rounds.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game