do one's damnedestidiom
variants: or try one's damnedest
Definition of do one's damnedest
chiefly US, informal + impolite
: to try very hard to do something He's doing his damnedest to win. I'll try my damnedest to be there on time.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game