do duty asidiom
Definition of do duty as
1 : to do the work of (someone or something) did duty as guard
2 : to be used as (something) The backpack she uses at school also does duty as an overnight bag.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game