Synonyms and Antonyms of gather
to bring together in one body or place
- He gathered the leftovers from the table and gave them to the dog.
- Let's gather the students and have them line up on the playground before going in from recess.
accumulate, amass, assemble, bulk (up), collect, concentrate, congregate, corral, garner, group, lump, pick up, round up
ball, batch, bunch, cluster, huddle
heap, pile, stack
band, brigade, muster, raise, rally
flock, herd, hive, pack, press, swarm, throng
combine, connect, join, link, merge, pool, unite
arrange, collate, compile, organize, systematize
scrape (up or together)
to catch or collect (a crop or natural resource) for human use
- Late summer is when we gather the tomatoes and begin canning them for the winter.
clam, fish, seal, shrimp, whale
accumulate, forage, garner
cut, hay, mow
bag, capture, hunt, net, snare, trap
crop, grow, raise
to come together into one body or place
- A crowd gathered around the street musician.
- Ask the faculty to gather in the lounge for the meeting.
assemble, cluster, collect, concentrate, conglomerate, congregate, convene, converge, forgather (or foregather), meet, rendezvous
affiliate, ally, associate, band (together), caucus, club, collaborate, confederate, conjoin, consolidate, consort, cooperate, couple, federate, gang up, join, merge, unite
reassemble, reconvene, regather, remeet
to form an opinion or reach a conclusion through reasoning and information
- I gather that, since you are back so early, the store was closed?
conjecture, guess, speculate, surmise
construe, interpret, read
contemplate, philosophize, rationalize, think
ascertain, dope (out), find out
to gradually form into a layer, pile, or mass
- Fallen leaves gathered beneath the huge tree.
to gradually increase in
- The movement gathered force as election day neared.
double (in), triple (in)
accrue, accumulate, amass
enhance, enlarge, enrich, expand, extend, maximize
boost, elevate, jack (up), mount, ramp (up), step up
to call into being through the use of one's inner resources or powers
- Somehow she gathered the strength to finish the marathon.