Synonyms and Antonyms of persecute
- people who were persecuted simply for practicing their religious faith
aggravate, agitate, annoy, bother, bug, chafe, distress, disturb, exasperate, gall, get, grate, gripe, hagride, harass, harry, irk, irritate, molest, nettle, peeve, pester, pique, put out, rasp, rile, vex
- She likes to persecute her sister with pointless, annoying questions at very inopportune times.
get one's goat, get on one's nerves, get to, rub the wrong way, set one's teeth on edge, stick in one's craw, wear on
Synonym Discussion of persecute
- a penal system that had wronged him
- a people oppressed by a warmongering tyrant
- a child persecuted by constant criticism
- a legal aid society representing aggrieved minority groups
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up persecute? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).