Synonyms and Antonyms of propitiate
- The temple was once the site of sacrifices—both to honor the gods in times of plenty and to propitiate them in times of trouble.
Synonym Discussion of propitiate
- pacified by a sincere apology
- appease their territorial ambitions
- a move to placate local opposition
- a speech that mollified the demonstrators
- propitiated his parents by dressing up
- conciliating the belligerent nations
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up propitiate? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).