Synonyms and Antonyms of afflict
- The South was afflicted by a severe drought.
- He's been afflicted by nightmares ever since the accident.
aggravate, agitate, annoy, bother, bug, chafe, distress, disturb, exasperate, gall, get, grate, gripe, hagride, harass, harry, irk, irritate, molest, nettle, peeve, pester, pique, put out, rasp, rile, vex
Synonym Discussion of afflict
- ills that afflict the elderly
- children often try their parents' patience
- a horse tormented by flies
- tortured by a sense of guilt
- a body racked by pain
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up afflict? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).