Synonyms and Antonyms of old
- Every day the old fisherman set out in his small boat to brave the dangers of the sea.
long in the tooth, of a certain age
- An extremely old piece of jewelry was discovered in the Egyptian ruins.
- I ran into my old fourth-grade teacher yesterday.
- Even the most stirring speeches start to get old after you've heard them a few times.
arid, boring, colorless, drab, dreary, drudging, dry, dull, dusty, flat, heavy, ho-hum, humdrum, jading, jejune, leaden, mind-numbing, monochromatic, monotonous, numbing, pedestrian, ponderous, slow, stale, stodgy, stuffy, stupid, tame, tedious, tiresome, tiring, uninteresting, wearisome, weary, wearying
blank, earthbound, gray (also grey), inanimate, pallid, pedantic, sterile, suspenseless, undramatic, uneventful, unexciting, unimaginative, uninspiring, unnewsworthy, unrewarding, unsensational, unspectacular
Synonym Discussion of old
- old houses
- an old sweater of mine
- ancient accounts of dragons
- the family's venerable patriarch
- collected antique Chippendale furniture
- antiquated teaching methods
- the play used archaic language to convey a sense of period
- a computer that makes earlier models obsolete
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up old? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).