Definition of antiquity
- a town that dates from antiquity
- a castle of great antiquity
- a museum of Greek antiquities
- the study of Germanic antiquities
- records left by antiquity
The town dates from antiquity.
A palace stood here in antiquity.
a museum of Roman antiquities
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'antiquity.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
: ancient times
: very great age
antiquities : objects from ancient times
What made you want to look up antiquity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
Confusing Words—A Quiz