Synonyms and Antonyms of succumb
- He finally succumbed to the designer's suggestions and got rid of his dilapidated easy chair.
say uncle, throw in the towel (also throw in the sponge)
- refused to succumb to her fears and defiantly walked through the dark cemetery
- The patient lay so still and pale that everyone thought he had succumbed, and then he opened his eyes.
bite the dust, buy it (or buy the farm), give up the ghost, kick the bucket
- The doctor worked tirelessly until finally he, too, succumbed to the fever.
Synonym Discussion of succumb
- yields too easily in any argument
- a repentant sinner vowing to submit to the will of God
- officials capitulated to the protesters' demands
- a stage actor succumbing to the lure of Hollywood
- finally relented and let the children stay up late
- I defer to your expertise in these matters
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up succumb? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).