Synonyms and Antonyms of capitulate
- One side finally capitulated when it became clear that they couldn't win the argument.
say uncle, throw in the towel (also throw in the sponge)
- The city reluctantly capitulated to the invaders after a three-day siege.
Synonym Discussion of capitulate
- yields too easily in any argument
- a repentant sinner vowing to submit to the will of God
- officials capitulated to the protesters' demands
- a stage actor succumbing to the lure of Hollywood
- finally relented and let the children stay up late
- I defer to your expertise in these matters
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up capitulate? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).