Synonyms and Antonyms of artifice
- He used the artifice of saying his grandmother had died so that he could get the last seat on the plane.
sleight of hand
- Using their artifice, the Greeks crafted a hollow wooden horse to hide inside and thereby gained entry into the city of Troy.
- a painting that could only have been created with the artifice of a master
- a crook who is a master of artifice and manipulation
- The whole story was just an artifice to get out trouble.
artfulness, caginess (also cageyness), craftiness, cunning, deviousness, foxiness, oiliness, shadiness, sharpness, shiftiness, shrewdness, slickness, slipperiness, slyness, sneakiness, treachery, underhandedness, wiliness
Synonym Discussion of artifice
- the tricks of the trade
- the ruses of smugglers
- the stratagem-filled game
- last-minute maneuvers to avert bankruptcy
- the clever artifices of the stage
- used all of his wiles to ingratiate himself
- a feint toward the enemy's left flank
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up artifice? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).