Synonyms and Antonyms of upbraid
- Mom upbraided me for not offering to help my grandparents.
abuse, assail, attack, bad-mouth, blame, blast, censure, condemn, criticize, crucify, denounce, dis (also diss) [slang], excoriate, fault, harangue, knock, lace (into), lash, pan, reprehend, revile, scourge, slam, vituperate
lay into, read the riot act (to), take to task
Synonym Discussion of upbraid
- angrily scolding the children
- upbraided her assistants for poor research
- berated continually by an overbearing boss
- railed loudly at their insolence
- an alleged killer reviled in the press
- was vituperated for betraying his friends
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up upbraid? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).