Synonyms and Antonyms of berate
- There's no need to berate someone for making a mistake during the first day on the job.
abuse, assail, attack, bad-mouth, blame, blast, censure, condemn, criticize, crucify, denounce, dis (also diss) [slang], excoriate, fault, harangue, knock, lace (into), lash, pan, reprehend, revile, scourge, slam, vituperate
lay into, read the riot act (to), take to task
Synonym Discussion of berate
- angrily scolding the children
- upbraided her assistants for poor research
- berated continually by an overbearing boss
- railed loudly at their insolence
- an alleged killer reviled in the press
- was vituperated for betraying his friends
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up berate? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).