Synonyms and Antonyms of scold
- He scolded the kids for not cleaning up the mess they had made in the kitchen.
abuse, assail, attack, bad-mouth, blame, blast, censure, condemn, criticize, crucify, denounce, dis (also diss) [slang], excoriate, fault, harangue, knock, lace (into), lash, pan, reprehend, revile, scourge, slam, vituperate
lay into, read the riot act (to), take to task
Synonym Discussion of scold
- angrily scolding the children
- upbraided her assistants for poor research
- berated continually by an overbearing boss
- railed loudly at their insolence
- an alleged killer reviled in the press
- was vituperated for betraying his friends
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up scold? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).