Synonyms and Antonyms of penurious
- The company's penurious management could not be convinced of the need to earmark more money for research and development.
- The most penurious members of the community are forced to depend on the services of the food bank.
down on one's luck, out at elbows (or out at the elbows), out of pocket
Synonym Discussion of penurious
- a stingy child, not given to sharing
- folks who are very close when charity calls
- the niggardly amount budgeted for the town library
- a parsimonious lifestyle notably lacking in luxuries
- the penurious eccentric bequeathed a fortune
- a miserly couple devoid of social conscience
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up penurious? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).