Synonyms and Antonyms of loss
the act or an instance of not having or being able to find
- He was upset over the loss of his wedding ring.
a person or thing harmed, lost, or destroyed
- The platoon was able to accomplish its reconnaissance mission without any losses.
failure to win a contest
- We're discouraged by our loss on Friday, but we're training hard for next week's game nevertheless.
beating, defeat, drubbing, licking, lump, overthrow, plastering, rout, shellacking, trimming, trouncing, whipping
collapse, debacle (also débâcle), failure, fiasco, fizzle, flop, nonsuccess, setback, upset
lurch, shutout, washout, whitewash
the amount by which something is lessened
- The stock market experienced a loss of four percentage points yesterday.
abatement, decline, decrease, decrement, dent, depletion, depression, diminishment, diminution, drop, drop-off, fall, falloff, reduction, shrinkage, step-down
the state of being robbed of something normally enjoyed
- Her loss of sleep meant that she would have trouble concentrating at work the next day.
absence, dearth, lack, need, want
denial, forfeit, forfeiture, penalty, sacrifice
deficiency, inadequacy, insufficiency, paucity, poverty, scarcity, shortage
the state or fact of being rendered nonexistent, physically unsound, or useless
- The loss of the oil tanker was more significant than the loss of its cargo.
annihilation, decimation, demolishment, demolition, desolation, destruction, devastation, extermination, extinction, havoc, obliteration, ruin, ruination, wastage, wreckage
depredation, despoilment, despoliation
breakup, collapse, disintegration, dissolution
assassination, execution, killing, massacre, slaughter
dismantlement, effacement, eradication
rescue, salvage, salvation, saving
conservation, preservation, protection
reclamation, reconstruction, re-creation, refurbishment, regeneracy, remodeling, renovation, restoration