Synonyms and Antonyms of failure
the nonperformance of an assigned or expected action
- Your failure to check the batteries in the smoke detector could have tragic results.
a falling short of one's goals
- The failure of the school's fund-raising drive was a big disappointment to all.
ineffectiveness, ineffectuality, ineffectualness, inefficaciousness, inefficacy
deficiency, inadequacy, inadequateness, insufficiency
disappointment, letdown, setback
something that has failed
- The students' first attempt to build a homemade rocket was a disappointing failure.
bomb, bummer, bust, catastrophe, clinker, clunker, debacle (also débâcle), disaster, dud, fiasco, fizzle, flop, frost, lemon, loser, miss, turkey, washout
a falling short of an essential or desirable amount or number
- The failure of the potato crop had a devastating effect on the population of Ireland.
crunch, dearth, deficiency, deficit, drought (also drouth), famine, inadequacy, inadequateness, insufficiency, lack, paucity, pinch, poverty, scantiness, scarceness, scarcity, shortage, undersupply, want
the inability to pay one's debts
- years of prolonged economic depression, when business failures were common