:the harm or privation resulting from loss or separation
- bore up bravely under the loss of both parents
:an instance of losing
- His death was a loss to all who knew him.
:a person or thing or an amount that is lost: such as
:killed, wounded, or captured soldiers
- His regiment suffered terrible losses.
:the power diminution of a circuit (see 1circuit 4a) or circuit element corresponding to conversion of electrical energy into heat by resistance (see 1resistance 4a)
:failure to gain, win, obtain, or utilize
:an amount by which the cost of something exceeds its selling price
- The railroad claimed to be operating at a loss.
:decrease in amount, magnitude, or degree
:the amount of an insured's financial detriment by death or damage that the insurer is liable for
at a loss
:uncertain as to how to proceed
- was at a loss to explain the discrepancy
:unable to produce what is needed
for a loss
:into a state of distress
- events had thrown him for a loss