: an object used as a counter in determining a question by chance
: the use of lots as a means of deciding something
- One was chosen by lot to represent the group.
: the resulting choice
: something that comes to one upon whom a lot has fallen : share
- The will provided for equal lots for all the children.
: one's way of life or worldly fate : fortune
- the lot of man, to suffer and to die
- —Alexander Pope
: a portion of land
: a measured parcel of land having fixed boundaries and designated on a plot or survey
- built his home on a half-acre lot
: a motion-picture studio and its adjoining property
: an establishment for the storage or sale of motor vehicles
: a number of units of an article, a single article, or a parcel of articles offered as one item (as in an auction sale)
- Lot 45 is a dining room set.
: all the members of a present group, kind, or quantity
—usually used with the
- sampled the whole lot of desserts
: a number of associated persons : set
: kind, sort
- The recruits were a sorry lot.
: a considerable quantity or extent
all over the lot
: covering a wide or varied range
- received bids all over the lot
: to a considerable degree or extent