cast one's lot withidiom
Definition of cast one's lot with
: to join or become associated with a person, group, or thing that one hopes will win or succeed During the American Civil War, my great-grandfather cast his lot with the Confederacy/Union.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game