leave much to be desiredidiom
variants: or leave a lot to be desired or leave a great deal to be desired
Definition of leave much to be desired
—used to say that something is not very good at all or is not close to being good enough Your work leaves much to be desired.Although her education left a great deal to be desired, she was an extremely intelligent person.The working conditions here leave a lot to be desired.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game