take a lot of lumpsidiom
Definition of take a lot of lumps
: to be badly beaten or hurt He took a lot of lumps as a kid growing up in the city. —usually used figuratively Their first album took a lot of lumps from the critics.The team has taken a lot of lumps this year, but their play has improved recently.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game