:a moving forward
- halted the enemy's advances
:progress in development
- … mistaking material advance for spiritual enrichment.
- —H. J. Laski
:a progressive step :improvement
- an advance in medical technique
:a rise in price, value, or amount
- The workers won wage advances.
:a first step or approach made
- Her attitude discouraged all advances.
:a provision of something (such as money or goods) before a return is received
:the money or goods supplied
- I need an advance on my salary.
- received a $100,000 advance on his new book
:to, toward, or in a place or position ahead
- sent scouts out in advance
:before a deadline or an anticipated event
- made reservations in advance
in advance of
- made preparations several days in advance of her arrival