Definition of propose
- man proposes, but God disposes
- propose a plan for settling the dispute
- proposed to spend the summer in Italy
- propose terms for peace
- propose a topic for debate
- propose them for membership
- propose the happiness of the couple
The scientists proposed a new theory.
The mayor proposed a plan for a new bridge.
Several senators have proposed raising the tax.
I propose that we revise the bylaws.
They propose to buy a new house.
How do you propose solving this problem?
The chairman proposed the young executive as a candidate for promotion.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'propose.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
What made you want to look up propose? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
Namesakes Word Quiz