:something that happens unpredictably without discernible human intention or observable cause
- Which cards you are dealt is simply a matter of chance.
:the assumed impersonal purposeless determiner of unaccountable happenings :luck
- an outcome decided by chance
:the fortuitous or incalculable element in existence :contingency
- … you surely have endured strange chances …
- —Alfred Tennyson
:a fielding opportunity in baseball
:the possibility of a particular outcome in an uncertain situation
:the degree of likelihood of such an outcome
- What chance has he of pulling through?
- a small chance of success
:the more likely indications
- chances are he's already gone
:in the haphazard course of events