Examples of opportunity in a Sentence
- A phony war because its stated objective—eradicating terrorism—is impossible and serves to mask unstated, alarmingly open-ended goals, a kind of fishing expedition that provides an opportunity for America to display its intimidating arsenal … —John Edgar Wideman, Harper's, March 2002
- Nowadays my only opportunity for an old-fashioned, self-indulgent sulk comes when I'm traveling. —Ian Frazier, Atlantic, March 2001
- I'm handing you an opportunity in the heart of the city where the whole world's heading: journalists, corporate leeches, Japanese tourists, Greco-Roman wrestlers. —Gary Smith, Illustrated, 11 Sept. 2000
- More than 90 percent of female senior managers believe that men's and women's opportunities remain unequal … —Katha Pollitt, Atlantic, November 1997
You'll have an opportunity to ask questions after the presentation.
When the opportunity came for her to prove that she could do the job, she was ready.
I had the rare opportunity of speaking to the president.
Studying abroad provides a great opportunity to learn a foreign language.
There are fewer job opportunities this year for graduates.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped me with this book.
He was given every opportunity to prove that he was trustworthy.
There is plenty of opportunity for advancement within the company.
Recent Examples of opportunity from the Web
For Nolan, the show has been a natural opportunity to examine the western from the inside out.
This is a great opportunity to deploy our capabilities in addiction and pain research together with our Connecticut partners in an exciting and much-needed statewide initiative.
It's got to be the right opportunity to get him up. ...
But cashing in on an enormous potential feel good factor could be too good an opportunity to miss for a short-term boost in approval given the nightmare of the last two years.
Timpson believes one of the most important things Roca will offer is opportunity.
Koch said there's no set number of players FC Cincinnati is targeting, and that every training session is an opportunity for FC Cincinnati's players to improve their chances of coming to MLS.
Also, having a franchise with a female protagonist driving it is such a rare opportunity.
Richard Stack, who currently serves as a Company Commander of Spencer's former unit, said the ceremony was an opportunity to honor the servicemen and servicewomen who came before him.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'opportunity.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of opportunity
OPPORTUNITY Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of opportunity for English Language Learners
: an amount of time or a situation in which something can be done
OPPORTUNITY Defined for Kids
Definition of opportunity for Students
- He practices guitar at every opportunity.
- “… learning secretarial skills is an exciting opportunity for me …”
- —Lemony Snicket, The Austere Academy
Learn More about opportunity
See words that rhyme with opportunity Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for opportunity Spanish Central: Translation of opportunity Nglish: Translation of opportunity for Spanish speakers Britannica English: Translation of opportunity for Arabic speakers Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about opportunity
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up opportunity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).