Examples of opportunity in a Sentence
- A phony war because its stated objective—eradicating terrorism—is impossible and serves to mask unstated, alarmingly open-ended goals, a kind of fishing expedition that provides an opportunity for America to display its intimidating arsenal … —John Edgar Wideman, Harper's, March 2002
- Nowadays my only opportunity for an old-fashioned, self-indulgent sulk comes when I'm traveling. —Ian Frazier, Atlantic, March 2001
- I'm handing you an opportunity in the heart of the city where the whole world's heading: journalists, corporate leeches, Japanese tourists, Greco-Roman wrestlers. —Gary Smith, Illustrated, 11 Sept. 2000
- More than 90 percent of female senior managers believe that men's and women's opportunities remain unequal … —Katha Pollitt, Atlantic, November 1997
You'll have an opportunity to ask questions after the presentation.
When the opportunity came for her to prove that she could do the job, she was ready.
I had the rare opportunity of speaking to the president.
Studying abroad provides a great opportunity to learn a foreign language.
There are fewer job opportunities this year for graduates.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped me with this book.
He was given every opportunity to prove that he was trustworthy.
There is plenty of opportunity for advancement within the company.
Recent Examples of opportunity from the Web
Brees has taken bits and pieces of his football journey - the success and the missed opportunities -- to mold himself into one of the best players on the planet even on the verge of his 39th birthday in two weeks.
Giacomo Bonaventura was than gifted the opportunity to score the opening goal in the game.
Fashion & FestiviTea Fundraiser: Festivities include a fashion show emceed by Project Runway model Christina Palavra, multiple door prizes and the opportunity to purchase original art created by Arts Center East's artist members.
Your unwanted gift could turn into a brand new opportunity for a woman in need.
Quinn, as much as any veteran player, is enjoying the opportunity to finally play for a winner.
The opportunity to cross that threshold arrived when a longtime customer asked him to take his 1990 Porsche 911 to the next level.
The short-term opportunities for affluent families are potentially worth five figures.
Freshman outside linebacker Jordan Wright once told reporters Calipari had offered him the opportunity to walk on to the basketball team.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'opportunity.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of opportunity
OPPORTUNITY Defined for English Language Learners
OPPORTUNITY Defined for Kids
Definition of opportunity for Students
- He practices guitar at every opportunity.
- “… learning secretarial skills is an exciting opportunity for me …”
- —Lemony Snicket, The Austere Academy
Learn More about opportunity
See words that rhyme with opportunity Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for opportunity Spanish Central: Translation of opportunity Nglish: Translation of opportunity for Spanish speakers Britannica English: Translation of opportunity for Arabic speakers Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about opportunity
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up opportunity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).