variants: or less commonly chance on
Definition of chance upon
: to find (something) or meet (someone) by chance She chanced upon an original copy of the book in her grandfather's attic. I chanced on an article in the paper about that just the other day. I was shopping in a rare book store when I chanced on a friend I had not seen in years.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game