stand a chance ofidiom
Definition of stand a chance of
: to have a possibility of (succeeding or winning) The team stands a chance of doing well this year. I think she stands a good chance of winning the election. —often used in negative statements She stands no chance of winning.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game