: a moving forward
- halted the enemy's advances
: progress in development
- … mistaking material advance for spiritual enrichment.
- —H. J. Laski
: a progressive step : improvement
- an advance in medical technique
: a rise in price, value, or amount
- The workers won wage advances.
: a first step or approach made
- Her attitude discouraged all advances.
: a provision of something (such as money or goods) before a return is received
: the money or goods supplied
- I need an advance on my salary.
- received a $100,000 advance on his new book
: to, toward, or in a place or position ahead
- sent scouts out in advance
: before a deadline or an anticipated event
- made reservations in advance
in advance of
: ahead of
- made preparations several days in advance of her arrival