Synonyms and Antonyms of skim
to turn over pages in an idle or cursory manner
- I'll just skim through a few styling magazines and see if something interesting catches my eye.
to move or proceed smoothly and readily
- a lone hang glider skimming along just above the treetops
bowl, breeze, brush, coast, cruise, drift, flow, glide, roll, sail, slide, slip, stream, sweep, whisk
to pass lightly across or touch gently especially in passing
- Her hand just barely skimmed the wall as she ran down the hallway.
bump, contact, scrape, sideswipe, strike, sweep, swipe, touch
bounce, carom, glance, rebound, ricochet, skip
caress, cuddle, fondle, love, pat, pet, stroke
bang, bash, bump, clash, collide, crash, hit, impact, impinge, knock, punch, ram, slam, slap, smack, smash, swipe, thud, thwack, whack
to strike and fly off at an angle
- The rock just skimmed the surface of the water.
to take a quick or hasty look
- He impatiently skimmed through the book, looking for the specific passage he remembered seeing.