1 a (1)
: one of the often indefinite or unequal subdivisions into which something is or is regarded as divided and which together constitute the whole
- … the road was passable only part of the year …
- —Samuel Johnson
: an essential portion or integral element
- Change is an inevitable part of life.
: one of several or many equal units of which something is composed or into which it is divisible : an amount equal to another amount
- mix one part of the powder with three parts of water
: an exact divisor of a quantity : aliquot
: one of the constituent elements of a plant or animal body: such as
: organ, member
- The stomach is part of the digestive system.
: a division of a literary work
: a vocal or instrumental line or melody in concerted music or in harmony
: a particular voice or instrument in concerted music;
: the score for it
: a constituent member of a machine or other apparatus ;
: a spare part
: something falling to one in a division or apportionment : share
- wanted no part of the proposal
: one's share or allotted task (as in an action) : duty
: one of the opposing sides in a conflict or dispute
- he that is not against us is on our part
- —Mark 9:40 (King James Version)
: a general area of indefinite boundaries
—usually used in plural
- you're not from around these parts
- took off for parts unknown
: a function or course of action performed
- objected to the government's part in the strike
: an actor's lines in a play, movie, etc.
- The actress learned her part well.
: the role of a character in a play, movie, etc.
- played the part of the villain
: a constituent of character or capacity : talent
: the line where the hair is parted
- His part was on the left side of his head.
for one's part
: as far as one's share or interest is concerned
- for my part, I do not see that the difference is important
- —Mary McCarthy
for the most part
: in general : on the whole
- for the most part the crowd was orderly
on one's part
on the part of one
: with regard to the one specified