Definition of play the part
: to act the part of (a particular character) in a film, play, etc. He often plays the part of the villain. —often used figuratively I've played the part of (the) devoted wife and mother, and now I want to do something more with my life.He was playing the part of (the) gracious host.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game