Examples of insure in a Sentence
- He found the language not obscene … but did find it intentionally disruptive, and held that school officials had the right to insure that a high-school assembly proceed in an orderly manner, without hoots and howls and all that snickering. —William Safire, New York Times Magazine, 24 Aug. 1986
- … his sudden fame probably insured a backlash. —Calvin Tomkins, New Yorker, 6 Dec. 1982
- The fact that by supplying his uncle with an amusing mistress he would insure against any awkward second marriage was merely a fortunate coincidence. —Mollie Hardwick, Emma, Lady Hamilton, 1969
We insured our house against fire and flood damage.
I found a company that will insure my car for less than I've been paying.
This policy will insure your car against theft.
She had difficulty finding a company that would insure her.
They take great care to insure the safety and security of their home.
We hope that careful planning will insure success.
Recent Examples of insure from the Web
One significant unknown expense will be the cost of insuring the three stations, which will be the first parts of the post-Katrina levee system turned over to the levee authority early next year.
In its estimation, a number of northeastern states will see bigger drops in the number of insured than other places, with Texas, Florida and California — high-population states — also seeing big decreases.
These subsidies for health insurers help cover the cost of insuring low-income individuals in the Obamacare marketplace.
His victory at August's world championships insures him a spot at the 2019 world championships in Doha and Gatlin has spoken about running through the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.
The annual cost of insuring against a default on $10 million of European investment-grade debt using credit-default swaps declined $2,000 to $53,000, according to the Markit iTraxx Europe credit-default swap index.
That would undermine the entire system, which depends on young, healthy people paying to offset the costs of insuring those with various medical conditions.
If those cars were on new car dealership lots, they were insured and likely disposed of properly if insurers declared them total losses.
Typically, risks are insured through the payment of an annual premium.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'insure.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of insure
First Known Use: 1635See Words from the same year
Synonym Discussion of insure
- the government has ensured the safety of the refugees
- careful planning should insure the success of the party
- I assure you that no harm will be done
- sent reinforcements to secure their position
INSURE Defined for English Language Learners
INSURE Defined for Kids
legal Definition of insure
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up insure? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).