Examples of insure in a Sentence
- He found the language not obscene … but did find it intentionally disruptive, and held that school officials had the right to insure that a high-school assembly proceed in an orderly manner, without hoots and howls and all that snickering. —William Safire, New York Times Magazine, 24 Aug. 1986
- … his sudden fame probably insured a backlash. —Calvin Tomkins, New Yorker, 6 Dec. 1982
- The fact that by supplying his uncle with an amusing mistress he would insure against any awkward second marriage was merely a fortunate coincidence. —Mollie Hardwick, Emma, Lady Hamilton, 1969
We insured our house against fire and flood damage.
I found a company that will insure my car for less than I've been paying.
This policy will insure your car against theft.
She had difficulty finding a company that would insure her.
They take great care to insure the safety and security of their home.
We hope that careful planning will insure success.
Recent Examples of insure from the Web
The company’s bonds also fell to the lowest in months, while credit-default swaps insuring Teva’s debt against losses soared to the highest on record.
While the government program insures more than five million homeowners, that is just a small fraction of the number of people who live on floodplains.
The end goal of insuring kids — generally popular across the aisle — is difficult.
Hiring policies and operating procedures were altered to insure openness and eliminate the secrecy that aided Sandusky.
The total cost to insure an N.C. employee and their family averaged $19,565 a year for a traditional health plan’s premiums.
In only two states — Hawaii and South Carolina — are at least 50 percent of homes in flood hazard areas insured under the program.
The plants under construction are way over budget, nobody wants to finance them, nobody will insure them except the governments themselves.
This means people who are not insured through their employers, partners, or other sources have between November 1 and December 15 to select an insurance plan on their own, either through the insurance marketplaces or private companies.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'insure.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of insure
First Known Use: 1635See Words from the same year
Synonym Discussion of insure
- the government has ensured the safety of the refugees
- careful planning should insure the success of the party
- I assure you that no harm will be done
- sent reinforcements to secure their position
INSURE Defined for English Language Learners
INSURE Defined for Kids
legal Definition of insure
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up insure? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).