Examples of insure in a Sentence
- He found the language not obscene … but did find it intentionally disruptive, and held that school officials had the right to insure that a high-school assembly proceed in an orderly manner, without hoots and howls and all that snickering. —William Safire, New York Times Magazine, 24 Aug. 1986
- … his sudden fame probably insured a backlash. —Calvin Tomkins, New Yorker, 6 Dec. 1982
- The fact that by supplying his uncle with an amusing mistress he would insure against any awkward second marriage was merely a fortunate coincidence. —Mollie Hardwick, Emma, Lady Hamilton, 1969
We insured our house against fire and flood damage.
I found a company that will insure my car for less than I've been paying.
This policy will insure your car against theft.
She had difficulty finding a company that would insure her.
They take great care to insure the safety and security of their home.
We hope that careful planning will insure success.
Recent Examples of insure from the Web
The groups figure that 115,000 low-income children in Idaho are covered under the program, which also insures low-income parents, pregnant women, the elderly and disabled adults.
Saddling women with unwanted pregnancies is a very effective way to insure that women remain impoverished.
Most reverse mortgages are issued as Home Equity Conversion Mortgages, or HECMs, which are insured by the Federal Housing Administration.
These companies form syndicates and get insurance of their own from even larger re-insurers, who are re-re-insured in turn.
The statue was insured for $106,000, with a $5,000 deductible.
According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), the second iteration, which stalled on July 17th, would have resulted in 22m fewer insured within a decade.
At the time, most South Floridians were insured by national companies like Prudential and State Farm.
Exceptions to a standard-type floor plan were airlock entry points, to insure the interior air quality and temperature, and an inside greenhouse than runs the length of the south-facing side of the building.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'insure.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of insure
First Known Use: 1635See Words from the same year
Synonym Discussion of insure
- the government has ensured the safety of the refugees
- careful planning should insure the success of the party
- I assure you that no harm will be done
- sent reinforcements to secure their position
INSURE Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of insure for English Language Learners
: to buy insurance for (something, such as property or health)
: to provide insurance for (something, such as property or health); also : to provide (someone) with insurance
: to make (something) sure, certain, or safe
INSURE Defined for Kids
Definition of insure for Students
- I insured my car.
- I want to insure your safety.
legal Definition of insure
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up insure? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).