Examples of ensure in a Sentence
- A combination of … personal courage, dashing leadership from the front, willingness to share the toughest rigours suffered by the ordinary soldiers, and a liberal dose of sheer good fortune ensured his stature as a great general. —Paul Cartledge, History Today, July 2004
- Indeed, even though she's been off the mainstream radar for more than a decade, her passionate love for and commitment to rock & roll have ensured that she's managed to make a steady living. —Tom Sinclair, Entertainment Weekly, 24 Nov. 2000
- At 20, [Kobe] Bryant is already living the modern American dream, a $70 million man on the NBA's glamour team in the nation's starriest city. His acrobatic moves make him the envy of teenage boys and his good looks and megawatt smile a heartthrob for teenage girls, ensuring his status as one of the NBA's premier pitchmen … —Allison Samuels et al., Newsweek, 31 May 1999
They took steps to ensure the safety of the passengers.
regulations that ensure the wholesomeness of our food
Recent Examples of ensure from the Web
As reported by The New York Times, Trump seemed to appease Kennedy and ensure his legacy was secure by nominating Kennedy’s former clerk, Neil Gorsuch, to late Justice Antonin Scalia’s seat.
The fees began appearing on hospital bills after they were approved by the National Uniform Billing Committee in January 2002, in order to help ensure that quality trauma care would be available to patients 24/7, KHN reported.
The bill will ensure that climate change is put in the spotlight every year.
But Mr López Obrador has shown little interest in such vital reforms as ensuring that both the attorney-general and the anti-corruption prosecutor are free from political influence.
Tie-downs near the nose and in the middle of the board ensure that each paddler can have his or her gear close.
In that new way, hospitals contracted with physicians to ensure that there was always a doctor in the emergency room.
It was rumored that Philippa the Catanian and Raymond of Compagno were somehow involved; some thought that by having Tommaso’s tongue cut out, Joanna was ensuring not only her own safety, but the safety of two of her favorites.
Laura Ward, deputy director of the department, gave tips for planning ahead and handling emergency situations to ensure animals’ welfare.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ensure.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Do you ensure or insure?
There is considerable confusion about whether ensure and insure are distinct words, variants of the same word, or some combination of the two. They are in fact different words, but with sufficient overlap in meaning and form as to create uncertainty as to which should be used when. We define ensure as “to make sure, certain, or safe” and one sense of insure, “to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions,” is quite similar. But insure has the additional meaning “to provide or obtain insurance on or for,” which is not shared by ensure. Some usage guides recommend using insure in financial contexts (as in “she insured her book collection for a million dollars”) and ensure in the general sense “to make certain” (as in “she ensured that the book collection was packed well”).
Synonym Discussion of ensure
- the government has ensured the safety of the refugees
- careful planning should insure the success of the party
- I assure you that no harm will be done
- sent reinforcements to secure their position
ENSURE Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of ensure for English Language Learners
: to make (something) sure, certain, or safe
ENSURE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ensure? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).