Examples of ensure in a Sentence
- A combination of … personal courage, dashing leadership from the front, willingness to share the toughest rigours suffered by the ordinary soldiers, and a liberal dose of sheer good fortune ensured his stature as a great general. —Paul Cartledge, History Today, July 2004
- Indeed, even though she's been off the mainstream radar for more than a decade, her passionate love for and commitment to rock & roll have ensured that she's managed to make a steady living. —Tom Sinclair, Entertainment Weekly, 24 Nov. 2000
- At 20, [Kobe] Bryant is already living the modern American dream, a $70 million man on the NBA's glamour team in the nation's starriest city. His acrobatic moves make him the envy of teenage boys and his good looks and megawatt smile a heartthrob for teenage girls, ensuring his status as one of the NBA's premier pitchmen … —Allison Samuels et al., Newsweek, 31 May 1999
They took steps to ensure the safety of the passengers.
regulations that ensure the wholesomeness of our food
Recent Examples of ensure from the Web
Even piles of investments that appear diverse can drop in value if care isn’t taken to ensure the assets won’t move in unison.
UIG/Getty Images To many supporters, national monuments preserve the nation’s most important—and potentially threatened—places as public lands, ensuring that they can be used for scientific exploration, historical research and recreation.
The Commission calls on the government to ensure freedom of movement for all people irrespective of religion, ethnicity, or citizenship status.
Last year, Congress had to approve a one-time fix to ensure that 1,400 agents would be compensated for thousands of hours of overtime earned above compensation limits.
Throughout a show that has its share of musical numbers, choreographer Brandon Glass helps ensure that the frequent transitions from dialogue to song-and-dance are smooth.
In June, the FDA sent a warning letter to Raritan Pharmaceuticals for failing to ensure the quality of its homeopathic teething products, which were sold by CVS pharmacies.
Nelson said the grass has been mowed down in eight eclipse-viewing areas set up for the public, to ensure fire-safe temporary roadside parking.
Hernandez appeared to have taken great pains to ensure his own death, jamming cardboard into the tracks of his cell's sliding door and spreading a slick of shampoo on the concrete floor so he couldn't be rescued quickly.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ensure.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of ensure
- the government has ensured the safety of the refugees
- careful planning should insure the success of the party
- I assure you that no harm will be done
- sent reinforcements to secure their position
ENSURE Defined for English Language Learners
ENSURE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ensure? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).