Examples of ensure in a Sentence
- A combination of … personal courage, dashing leadership from the front, willingness to share the toughest rigours suffered by the ordinary soldiers, and a liberal dose of sheer good fortune ensured his stature as a great general. —Paul Cartledge, History Today, July 2004
- Indeed, even though she's been off the mainstream radar for more than a decade, her passionate love for and commitment to rock & roll have ensured that she's managed to make a steady living. —Tom Sinclair, Entertainment Weekly, 24 Nov. 2000
- At 20, [Kobe] Bryant is already living the modern American dream, a $70 million man on the NBA's glamour team in the nation's starriest city. His acrobatic moves make him the envy of teenage boys and his good looks and megawatt smile a heartthrob for teenage girls, ensuring his status as one of the NBA's premier pitchmen … —Allison Samuels et al., Newsweek, 31 May 1999
They took steps to ensure the safety of the passengers.
regulations that ensure the wholesomeness of our food
Recent Examples of ensure from the Web
South Florida Jewish organizations are making efforts to ensure local homebound seniors have a nice Passover meal for the holiday, which begins on the evening of March 30.
By purchasing the development rights to Backiel Farm, located at 1160 France St., the town would be ensuring that the farmland is not developed for other use.
Top speed is limited to 30 mph, and Renault’s four-wheel steering technology, dubbed 4CONTROL, is in place to ensure agile response.
What safeguards are in place to ensure these kids, who may not fully understand why their lunch has to be a little different than their friends', are continuing to eat gluten-free?
The Epley children want to ensure other kids touched by cancer have the support to cope with their emotions.
In 1942, when Britain’s wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill paid a visit to U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt, his goal was to ensure the United States’ continued support of Britain in their fight against Hitler and Nazi Germany.
The Loremasters’ duty is to, amid all this activity, ensure that the legends of Blizzard’s Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo—never mind others elsewhere in the empire—accurately live on.
My top goal is to ensure total transparency in government.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ensure.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of ensure
- the government has ensured the safety of the refugees
- careful planning should insure the success of the party
- I assure you that no harm will be done
- sent reinforcements to secure their position
ENSURE Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of ensure for English Language Learners
: to make (something) sure, certain, or safe
ENSURE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ensure? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).