insure againstphrasal verb
insured against; insuring against; insures against
Definition of insure against
1 : to make (something bad) less likely to happen usually by planning and preparing Doctors recommend exercising to insure against health problems.
2 : to protect (someone) from (something bad) We can't insure our children against all life's problems.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game