insure againstphrasal verb
Definition of insure against
1 : to make (something bad) less likely to happen usually by planning and preparing Doctors recommend exercising to insure against health problems.
2 : to protect (someone) from (something bad) We can't insure our children against all life's problems.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game