:to utter loudly :shout
- He cried "Wait!" but it was too late.
:to shed tears often noisily :weep, sob
- The child began to cry after she dropped her ice-cream cone.
:to utter a characteristic sound or call
- heard the seagulls crying
:to require or suggest strongly a remedy or disposition (see disposition 1b)
- … there are a hundred things which cry out for planning …
- —Roger Burlingame
cry over spilled milk
:to express vain regrets for what cannot be recovered or undone
- You made a mistake, but there's no use crying over spilled milk.
:to give alarm unnecessarily
- News organizations have been warned not to cry wolf.