: to utter loudly : shout
- He cried "Wait!" but it was too late.
: to call loudly : shout
: to shed tears often noisily : weep, sob
- The child began to cry after she dropped her ice-cream cone.
: to utter a characteristic sound or call
- heard the seagulls crying
: to require or suggest strongly a remedy or disposition (see disposition 2b)
- … there are a hundred things which cry out for planning …
- —Roger Burlingame
cry over spilled milk
: to express vain regrets for what cannot be recovered or undone
- You made a mistake, but there's no use crying over spilled milk.
: to give alarm unnecessarily
- News organizations have been warned not to cry wolf.