:to acquire possession, ownership, or rights to the use or services of by payment especially of money :purchase
- buying stock in the company
:to obtain in exchange for something often at a sacrifice
- They bought peace with their freedom.
:to be the purchasing equivalent of
- The dollar buys less today than it used to.
:to make a purchase
- Now is a good time to buy.
:to purchase a portion of or interest in
- the TV network bought into its local football team
:to delay an imminent action or decision :stall