: slowly and laboriously : dully
Examples of HEAVILY
- He relies heavily on his wife for advice.
- These artists borrow heavily from Picasso.
- Our flowers were heavily damaged by a late spring frost.
- She drank and smoked heavily for years.
- He sat down heavily on the couch.
- He was leaning heavily on the table.
- She sighed heavily then said “Okay, I'll do it.”
First Known Use of HEAVILY
before 12th century
Related to HEAVILY
- achingly, almighty, archly, awful, awfully, badly, beastly, blisteringly, bone, colossally, corking, cracking, damn, damned, dang, deadly, desperately, eminently, enormously, especially, ever, exceedingly (also exceeding), extra, extremely, fabulously, fantastically, far, fiercely, filthy, frightfully, full, greatly, very, highly, hugely, immensely, incredibly, intensely, jolly, majorly, mightily, mighty, monstrous [chiefly dialect], mortally, most, much, particularly, passing, rattling, real, really, right, roaring, roaringly, seriously, severely, so, sore, sorely, spanking, specially, stinking, such, super, supremely, surpassingly, terribly, that, thumping, too, unco, uncommonly, vastly, vitally, way, whacking, wicked, wildly
- little, negligibly, nominally, slightly, somewhat
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up heavily? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).