spe·cial·ly adverb \ˈspe-sh(ə-)lē\
: for a special purpose
: to a special or unusual degree : particularly or especially
: in a special manner
: in a special manner <treated her friends specially>
a : for a special purpose <dresses made specially for the occasion>
b : in particular : specifically <made specially for you>
: especially 2 <makes a specially fine curry> <was specially pleased with the gift>
Examples of SPECIALLY
- dresses made specially for a wedding
- The speech was written specially for the occasion.
- The room was specially designed to be used as a library.
- I was specially pleased with your gift.
- people who are not specially gifted
- I don't want to be treated specially.
First Known Use of SPECIALLY
Learn More About SPECIALLY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up specially? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).