fright·ful adjective \ˈfrīt-fəl\
: causing fear
: very bad or shocking
: very strong
: startling especially in being bad or objectionable <a frightful novel>
— fright·ful·ly \-fə-lē\ adverb
— fright·ful·ness noun
Examples of FRIGHTFUL
- As he fell, he let out a frightful scream.
- a frightful illness that causes extreme pain
- The children made a frightful mess of the kitchen.
- Many critics have expressed shock at the song's frightful lyrics.
First Known Use of FRIGHTFUL
Related to FRIGHTFUL
- alarming, dire, direful, dread, dreadful, fearsome, forbidding, formidable, frightening, fearful, ghastly, hair-raising, horrendous, horrible, horrifying, intimidating, redoubtable, scary, shocking, spine-chilling, terrible, terrifying
- light, moderate, soft
Learn More About FRIGHTFUL
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up frightful? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).