:to lead astray;
- a nation betrayed into violence
- a teenager betrayed by a much older man
:to deliver to an enemy by treachery
- was betrayed to the authorities by one of his students
- betraying one's own country
:to fail or desert especially in time of need
- felt that she would be betraying her principles
- You've betrayed our trust.
:to reveal unintentionally
- betray one's true feelings
- His best columns betray … the philosophical bent of his mind.
- —John Mason Brown
:to disclose in violation of confidence