Examples of antagonist in a Sentence
- They are interested in character first, and in Don, a foul-mouthed psychopath with a hair-trigger temper and buried longings for Gal's wife, they have created a truly scary antagonist. —David Ansen, Newsweek, 18 June 2001
- In the 1970s researchers discovered that the actions of estrogen and other hormones can be blocked chemically by drugs called hormone antagonists … —David Plotkin, Atlantic, June 1996
- If the new comptroller is a true antagonist of the seamy bond market practices he decried in the campaign, why has he installed as his first deputy the public finance director from the Dinkins administration who was Holtzman's accomplice in each of those deals. —Wayne Barrett, Village Voice, March 1994
- As in that film, Kopple not only draws an intimate portrait of the protagonists and antagonists in the strike, but also deftly locates the workers' struggle within a broad context of economic and political forces. —Frank Thompson, Film Comment, January/February 1991
please name the novel's hero and his antagonist
his antagonist in the boxing match
Recent Examples of antagonist from the Web
So while there may be no antagonist in Saturday’s game, there are different perspectives.
Opioid antagonists, such as naltrexone, indirectly inhibit brain cells from producing dopamine, thereby reducing cravings.
So the antagonists simply want to create chaos and try to delay Major League Soccer's expansion announcement here.
This season, the million dollar question is: Who is the Black Hood, the mysterious antagonist who shot Archie's dad in Pop's and killed Ms. Grundy, among other crimes.
All of your favorite Marvel characters unite in this epic film to take down Thanos, the Guardians of the Galaxy antagonist, who has a thirst for infinity stones.
Trump’s reliance on pen and phone enhances his starring role on the Washington stage and deprives antagonists of marquee moments in congressional floor fights.
But as the film’s primary antagonist, the joyless Dean Wormer, warns the fun-loving outcasts, fat, drunk and stupid is no way to be.
This is somewhat unlikely from a marketing perspective, however, as China is a major movie market and making Beijing the antagonist is a surefire way to prevent Top Gun 2 from hitting Chinese theaters.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'antagonist.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Did You Know?
On the stage or screen, in a story or a novel, the protagonist is the main character and the antagonist is the opposing one. Pro- and ant- usually mark the good and bad characters, but not always; there may occasionally be an evil protagonist and a good antagonist. In the drama of the real world, it's especially hard to sort out which is which, so we usually speak of both parties to a conflict as antagonists. During a strike, for example, representatives of labor and management become antagonists; they often manage to antagonize each other, and the antagonism often remains after the strike is over.
ANTAGONIST Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of antagonist for English Language Learners
: a person who opposes another person
ANTAGONIST Defined for Kids
medical Definition of antagonist
- contact between a tooth and its antagonist in the opposing jaw
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up antagonist? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).