Examples of antagonist in a Sentence
- They are interested in character first, and in Don, a foul-mouthed psychopath with a hair-trigger temper and buried longings for Gal's wife, they have created a truly scary antagonist. —David Ansen, Newsweek, 18 June 2001
- In the 1970s researchers discovered that the actions of estrogen and other hormones can be blocked chemically by drugs called hormone antagonists … —David Plotkin, Atlantic, June 1996
- If the new comptroller is a true antagonist of the seamy bond market practices he decried in the campaign, why has he installed as his first deputy the public finance director from the Dinkins administration who was Holtzman's accomplice in each of those deals. —Wayne Barrett, Village Voice, March 1994
- As in that film, Kopple not only draws an intimate portrait of the protagonists and antagonists in the strike, but also deftly locates the workers' struggle within a broad context of economic and political forces. —Frank Thompson, Film Comment, January/February 1991
please name the novel's hero and his antagonist
his antagonist in the boxing match
Recent Examples of antagonist from the Web
Think about it: Cheryl Blossom is the antagonist of the show.
The iconic antagonist rules Latveria with an iron fist, but brought peace and prosperity to the tiny nation and is revered by its citizens.
Often evil women play supporting roles—the wives of murderous presidents or antagonists to would-be rulers of Westeros.
Even the film's antagonist Erik Killmonger, played beautifully by Michael B. Jordan, is man of deep values and clear motivations who drops some gutting truths about fighting for parity as a black man who comes from nothing.
The writer claims the film's protagonists, mentors and antagonists all share striking similarities to his creations, ranging from upbringing and beverage choice to disdain for humanity and vulnerability to panic attacks.
Coogler, who co-wrote the screenplay with Joe Robert Cole, also includes another important antagonist from the comics: the dastardly and bigoted Ulysses Klaue (Andy Serkis).
With the help of a talented cast, and an incredible antagonist in Vince McMahon, Austin carried the company on his back and revolutionized the entire wrestling business. 1.
To his credit, Flake has not wavered in his public disdain for Trump, unlike onetime Trump antagonists like Lindsey Graham and Bob Corker.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'antagonist.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Did You Know?
On the stage or screen, in a story or a novel, the protagonist is the main character and the antagonist is the opposing one. Pro- and ant- usually mark the good and bad characters, but not always; there may occasionally be an evil protagonist and a good antagonist. In the drama of the real world, it's especially hard to sort out which is which, so we usually speak of both parties to a conflict as antagonists. During a strike, for example, representatives of labor and management become antagonists; they often manage to antagonize each other, and the antagonism often remains after the strike is over.
ANTAGONIST Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of antagonist for English Language Learners
: a person who opposes another person
ANTAGONIST Defined for Kids
medical Definition of antagonist
- contact between a tooth and its antagonist in the opposing jaw
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up antagonist? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).