: in a forward direction or position : forward
: in front
: in, into, or for the future
: in or toward a more advantageous position
- helped others to get ahead
: at or to an earlier time : in advance
: in or into a leading position in a race or competition
- a politician who is running ahead in most polls
- Josh Carter scored from a yard out and the Pride added a two-point conversion to surge ahead 14-7.
- —Cumberland (Maryland) Times-News
of a pitcher
: in or into the situation of having thrown more strikes than balls to a batter
- Home run threat Mark Reynolds was up next with the bases loaded, but Colon quickly got ahead 1-2 in the count and struck the third baseman out swinging with a … fastball.
- —Ray Monell
of a batter
: in or into the situation of having a count of more balls than strikes
- Albert Pujols got ahead 3-1 and then lined one into the seats in left for his 20th home run of the year and second of the series.
- —John Fay