a/one step ahead ofidiom
Definition of a/one step ahead of
1 : better prepared than (someone or something) The teacher really has to work to keep one step ahead of the class. She always seems to be one step ahead of me.
2 : able to avoid being caught or found by (someone or something) So far the killer has managed to stay one step ahead of the police/law.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game