pull aheadphrasal verb
pulled ahead; pulling ahead; pulls ahead
Definition of pull ahead
: to take the lead in a race, competition, contest, etc. The two runners were side by side until one pulled ahead. —often + of He has pulled ahead of the other candidates in the election polls.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game