pull aheadphrasal verb
pulled ahead; pulling ahead; pulls ahead
Definition of pull ahead
: to take the lead in a race, competition, contest, etc. The two runners were side by side until one pulled ahead. —often + of He has pulled ahead of the other candidates in the election polls.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game